Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Weekly Photoset | Six Days in Madrid


For those reading my blog, if there are actually any of your out there, you may or may not know that I'm currently on study exchange at the University of Leicester in UK for a semester. It's been about a month since I came and it's just been amazing. I won't go in to much detail about the exchange side of things, I might make a separate post for that later on because what I want to focus on is Spain, Madrid in particular. The week before classes formally started, I went on six day trip to Madrid with a new friend. The whole situation was crazy, I had only known my friend and my flatmate, who is also on a semester exchange from South Korea, for a few days, and we organised, planned and decided everything in a period of a few hours the day before we were due to fly out. Everyone thought we were crazy. But it didn't stop us, it was such a good opportunity.

It wasn't my first time in Spain, as I visited Barcelona three years ago, but it was my first time to Madrid. The thing I love most about Spain is that everything is so laid-backed. The six days we had in Madrid was filled with warm sunlight and taken at a slow pace, with numerous naps and moments of comfortable silence in between. We booked an Airbnb in the suburb of Lavapies that had the most amazing views. I highly recommend the Lavapies and Embajadores district in Madrid, there were countless bars, tapas places and all sorts of food available, the buildings were especially beautiful. Madrid is one of those places that doesn't require a morning alarm, you just wake up to the natural sunlight. In retrospect, I can't believe I was actually there, it feels like it was a dream. Madrid was so beautiful, the buildings, the colours especially. All the buildings had cast iron railings, and was coloured in warm hues. When the sunlight bounced off the walls, the whole of Madrid was sun soaked.