Friday, 9 September 2016

Revisit to Stimulatte | Subiaco

Stimulatte in Subiaco released a new menu a couple of months ago with a focus on food that's more ethical and sustainable, resulting in the introduction of more paleo, vegan and gluten-free dishes. They've still got dishes suited for omnivores, but now it means that everyone regardless of dietary needs can come together and enjoy food from the vast menu. I visited last year in November and I thoroughly enjoyed my hotcakes and was quite sad to see it off the menu. However, what replaced the hotcake was a completely vegan and gluten-free raspberry pancake with chocolate mousse, peanut praline and lemon balm ($18.50).  Looking through on Stimulatte's geotag on Instagram convinced me that this was the dish I was going to order when I made my next trip to Stimulatte. It just looked so pretty! However, I think my expectations were a bit too high and I was unfortunately disappointed. The pancake itself was quite strange, I was expecting it to be similar to Little Bird's gluten-free pancakes made with buckwheat flour, but Stimulatte's pancake was more like a rice cake without the glutinous aspect, rather than a typical pancake. It was light and fluffy, but I was missing that cakey texture. The chocolate mouse had a nice flavour, however it had a slight sour tang, and with the general sharpness of raspberries, it made the overall dish quite tart. The peanut praline was delicious though and it added a nice crunch to the dish without overpowering it with sugar.

Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing? The pancakes missed the mark, even though it has so much potential! Nonetheless, my disappointment with the raspberry pancakes hasn't persuaded me to stay away from Stimulatte; the people working there are lovely, the coffee is delicious and I love the space it provides. Not to mention the fact that they're consciously trying to be a more ethical and sustainable business, we seriously need more mindsets like this. Next time I visit, I'll just order something else!







Stimulatte Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato