Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Weekly Photoset | Six Days in The Big City - Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku and Surrounds

So I'm back in Perth, and all I can think about is how I miss Tokyo. I'm also questioning why. Why do I miss it so much? I can't quite place or explain my infatuation with Japan. I might be biased (being half Japanese), but I think Japan is extraordinary, and one of the best places to travel with family or friends or if you're brave enough, solo. Maybe it's the food, or the people, the culture, the things to do, or the fact that I can walk around the streets of Shibuya late at night without worry unlike in Perth. The thing with Perth is that, unless you're in the city on Friday or Saturday, everything, everyone and everywhere is closed off, and somewhat non existent after 5pm. One of my favourite things to do, is to walk around at night. I know this might make me sound like a nocturnal predator, but it's nothing like that. In Tokyo, everything changes at night, clearly. I feel like the night provides more ease than the daytime, this isn't to say it's slow-paced or relaxing, because if anyone has been to Shibuya at night, they'll know how lively and thriving the night scene is. I guess it's the lack of rush or deadline, because the night feels as though there's no end to it. 

The six days in the city I had with my friend, where we stayed in the most perfect apartment (thank you Chizuru and Airbnb) was filled with constant walking, lots of food (especially dairy for some reason), one super rainy day where my feet got soaked, cafe hopping, late night conversations, exciting adventures and a new found love for Tokyo. The short time we were there gave me new insight into the city I thought I knew, and it's only the beginning, there's still a labyrinth of things to discover.