Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Weekly Photoset | Tokyo Summer

It has been three years since I've been to Japan in the summer, and I've forgotten how nice it can be. The beginning of summer generally means the rainy season, with temperatures ranging from 23 degrees to 30 degrees during the day. The majority of travel I do take place during winter, so it's such a nice feeling to be able to just wear denim culottes and a loose blouse instead of my usual down coat and winter layers. Currently, it's ajisai season, i.e. hydrangea season! I never knew there were so many different varieties of the flower. Even though it's pretty humid here (extremely so compared to Perth's dryness), I absolutely love the deep greens of the trees and plants here, and the lushness of the foliage, not to mention the humidity hydrating my skin. During the week I was staying at my grandma's house we visited Kamakura and explored Fujisawa. We walked around Kamakura indulging in treats like premium matcha soft serve and freshly baked osembe (rice crackers). In Fujisawa we had lunch one afternoon at a soba restaurant, and another at a seafood restaurant. It seems like everything is constantly related to food somehow. Food has become so important in my life, I suppose it always has been, maybe I'm just more conscious of it now. Japan is truly an extraordinary place. I'm so lucky to be here, and I'm so glad that I have connections here that run further than my infatuation with this country.