Thursday, 28 April 2016

Weekly Photoset | Let's Rewind Back to Notting Hill

In stressful times like these I like to think about the places I've visited and how truly blessed I am. At the beginning of this year we were in London, I can't believe it's been three months since! Looking at all of these photos taken in Notting Hill makes me nostalgic because all I want to do right now is go back to that perfect winter's day instead of being stuck at home trying to complete my assignments.

Notting Hill is nothing like central London, it's more quiet, affluent and pretty. From central London, it takes about half an hour via the tube to get to Notting Hill Gate station. Even though the UK is generally associated with dreary, damp weather, while we visited we had many days when the sky was clear and so blue. Walking through Notting Hill filled me up with a longing to live there. The houses were wonderfully pastel with white window panes making every house beautiful and dreamy. They remind me of the houses in Amsterdam, they both have interesting exteriors with lots of white accents, although in a different style. 

One of the main reasons to visit Notting Hill is the Portobello Markets. The world famous markets are open Monday to Saturday but at varied times. The types of stalls that you find at the markets also depend on what day you come. Saturday is the main market day with fruit and veg, second hand clothes, bric-a-brac and antiques stalls. Due to being pressed for time during our stay in England, we went to Notting Hill on New Years Eve, which was a Thursday. Thursdays at the Portobello Markets are half days, so it wasn't as lively as we hoped it would be, with stalls closing at 1pm. Nonetheless, the crisp weather made being outside perfectly enjoyable and I was glad that it wasn't overcrowded as we could leisurely walk around the area. There were plenty of quirky second-hand and antique shops around Notting Hill, as well as little cafes (I highly recommend Ottolenghi) and boutiques. Notting Hill is definitely one of my favourite areas in London.