Friday, 23 October 2015

Fundraiser High Tea Party


It's hard to imagine that there are still people in this world that don't have easy access to clean and safe drinking water. I am so privileged, I live in a nice house, I have a job and a source of income, I go to uni and I have access to education, I frequently indulge in eating out and the most simple thing, I have access to water. A few weeks ago, my mum hosted a high tea party to raise funds for building wells in Cambodian villages. The goal was $2000 (the costs of building one well), and I am so happy that we managed to raise enough money to build one well for a village!

Preparations for the Sunday high tea was tedious, tiring and time consuming, but so worth it. We started baking, preparing and cleaning the house on Friday night to host around thirty guests. There was so much food. Here's a comprehensive list of the food we had:
  • Lemon coconut slice
  • Chocolate and hazelnut friands
  • Pickled cucumber sandwiches
  • Egg sandwiches
  • Gluten free orange semolina muffins
  • Gluten free chocolate cake
  • Vegetarian sushi
  • Cupcakes with peanut butter and chocolate frosting
  •  Vietnamese spring rolls
  • Apple and walnut cake
  • Vegetarian curry puffs
  • Handmade French pastries (├ęclairs, almond croissants, cream horns and fruit tartlets!)
The vegetarian curry puffs were handmade by a Malaysian lady that lives south of the river. They were so good; flaky and crispy pastry and the most delicious filling! My mum's good friend Janine also helped out by baking the French pastries, which really added that 'high tea' atmosphere to the fund-raiser, and the flower arrangements and decorations were done by my mum's good friend, Roxine. It was such a success, it is so exciting that we raised enough money to build a well!