Thursday, 4 December 2014

Possibly the Best French Toast in Perth (The World??)


Oh Lordy, don't go to Typika. You'll get seriously addicted to their Golden French Toast! I've been craving it so much since I had the delicious breakfast last week. I just keep thinking about the calories, the sugar, the fat! And the worst thing is, it's all worth it. Typika is a much talked about restaurant in Claremont, it's right next to Claremont Quarter so you can go shopping after or shop until there's a free table for you. Apparently it gets really busy, so you have to get in quick. We arrived around 8:30AM for breakfast on a Sunday and it was already filling up, by the time we finished around 9:30AM, there was a hefty queue for dine-in and take-away!

We were seated in the middle near the open door window thing, and although the morning breeze was slightly chilly it's a great spot to see what's happening all around you. Typika has high ceilings, a dark and somewhat  industrial feel to it, and there are wonderfully large tables which are great if you're planning to go there as a big group!

To start off the morning, all three of us decided to have juice. I'm fairly certain that they were cold pressed because I saw several bottles of colourful juices sitting in the fridge at the drink making station. The hot pink juice is the OBGL, the green was the Jungle juice and the yellowy orangey one was the weekly special pear juice. They all came in glass jars that are super popular at the moment. The juices were so refreshing and zesty, albeit they had too much ice in them making us too cold. Next time I'm ordering juice without the ice!


Whenever I go out for a meal I take the longest time deciding what to eat. I am so indecisive that I have to look at the menu beforehand so that I can come to a conclusion of what to eat, or else I'll just anger everyone who have already decided. I was quite keen on getting the mushroom crepes, but I changed my mind the last minute, and I'm so glad I did. I have the biggest sweet tooth and sweet breakfasts are my weakness. The Golden French toast came with two thick slices of bread coated in an eggy concoction and pan fried to perfection, a generous amount of salted caramel sauce, two glorious strips of candied bacon, fresh banana and micro herbs that didn't do much for flavour but made the dish look superb. And oh my God, now I know why it's so popular, it is so, so good. Like ugh, that salted caramel sauce? It was so buttery, smooth, sweet and slightly salty and it was just heaven in sauce form. The candied bacon added a saltier kick to the dish and added to the variety of textures to the dish. The flavour combination of eggy bread, salted caramel, bananas and bacon just go so well together, I just can't get over how good it was. Writing all of this has made me crave them even more.

My mum ordered the classic poached eggs and bacon with toast. The eggs were poached to perfection and it was delicious and hearty all in its simple form. It also came with a small jar or tomato based relish and some rounded butter. Typika's signature micro herbs used as decoration was sitting on top of the two eggs.
For breakfast my sister decided to get the vegetarian bagel. There's this thing about bagels, I can't quite put my hand to it, but it's just so good. I think it's the dense texture. Typika's bagel was filled with grilled eggplant, roasted red peppers, spinach leaves, sundried tomato pesto and cream cheese. It was so tasty and filled with goodness you could just squeal with excitement.
Ah, love that Golden French Toast. I really want to try the Hotcakes with Maple and Bacon, that sounds delicious too! Typika is more on the pricey side compared to other breakfast cafes so I wouldn't dine here every week, although I wouldn't mind going every month or so! Drinks make an outing expensive, so if you're looking for a way to save money, have your juice at home. Oh and another great thing about this place is that most of the dishes can be altered to suit gluten-free requests, which is always a bonus! Even the Golden French Toast can be suited to gluten-intolerant people, so everyone can enjoy it regardless of diet! Seriously craving it now.

Typika Artisan Roasters on Urbanspoon