Thursday, 30 October 2014

Sweetness at Sayers Sister



Sayers Sister, as the name suggest is the sister restaurant of the original Sayers in Leederville. Located in Northbridge, Sayers Sister is a bustling and hip cafe that serves up great food. There's been talk about how the Sayers family decided to close down the Sayers in Leederville to concentrate on Sayers Sister, but after talking to Mrs Sayers herself, this is not true! Sayers is not closing down in Leederville, the business was sold about five months ago, so it's just not the original owners working there. However, you can find the Sayers family working at Sayers Sister! The cafe walls are as distressed as myself during this time of the year. The d├ęcor is funky and colourful and there are a lot of quirky furniture pieces! We arrived around 11:25AM wanting to eat brunch, and we were lucky enough to get the breakfast menu with five minutes to closing time for the breakfast kitchen! 

I ordered the calorie-loaded waffles with charred banana, praline dust, maple and peanut butter ice cream. What the menu didn't tell me however, is that the waffles came with fresh strawberries and some sort of fruit compote. The waffles came out freshly baked looking so colourful with its green mint leaves and the fresh red of the strawberries. I had really high expectations for this breakfast, I'm not sure why, I think it's because it sounded so good on the menu. It tasted wonderful, albeit a little too sweet for my tastes. I feel as though the waffle dish was trying too hard. If that makes sense? I thought there was a bit too many things going on in the dish. If it were simpler and more clean (plating wise), it would have been perfect. I can't really take sugary flavours because I just don't really like the taste of it. I would have preferred less compote and maple syrup and no icing sugar. It just made the dish so much more sugary. It's a perfect dish if you're craving something sugary! The peanut butter ice-cream was so delicious, I absolutely love my peanuts. It was surprisingly quite hard (I think it was scooped in to a ball and then put back in to the freezer) which was great because it didn't melt too fast!

My mum ordered a simple breakfast, poached eggs on toasted ciabatta bread with a side salad of rocket and parmesan. The two eggs were poached to perfection, with glorious runny yolks. It was  simple everyday breakfast dish that did not disappoint. The creaminess and richness of the egg, combined with the crunchy ciabatta, the salty parmesan and fresh rocket are flavours and textures that can't go wrong. It's actually one of my favourite flavours! I have an on going affinity for eggs!

The coffee is great too, with the perfect temperature. We ordered a flat white in a mug, but they gave us a small cup instead which was slightly disappointing as it wasn't enough and we had to order another one. Nevertheless it was a great outing with good food. They're also going to open for dinner! I think they're starting today, tomorrow and Sunday. It's a tapas style dinner to share with friends and family, can't wait to come back and try their dinner menu!

Sayers Sister on Urbanspoon