Saturday, 1 November 2014

Murakami's Latest Book and Doing Creative Things



The other day, I was feeling creative, so due to various limitations and restrictions that are thrust upon me in my humble abode, I decided to channel my creative urges in to a flatlay. Flatlays are so popular in the realms of Instagram, blogs and other social media sites. It's where you lay whatever you want out and take a bird's-eye view photograph of it. I've always liked the look of them, and they can look completely different depending on what type of aesthetic you're aiming for. I really like Margaret Zhang's flatlays, they're so structured, precise and clean.

That particular day, as usual I was procrastinating and avoiding my 1500 word communications essay, like I'm doing now, instead I was lusting over the upcoming holidays and what I wanted to do. This gave birth of the flatlay above. It is a representation of what I want to do when exams are finally over! Another reason why I did this flatlay was the sole purpose of including Murakami's new book because I wanted to do a book review on it. 

'The reason why death has such a hold on Tsukuru Tazaki was clear. One day his four closest fiends, the friends he's known for a long time, announced that they did not want to see him, or talk with him, ever again.'

This is the quote on the back of the book.

Anyone who hasn't read a Murakami book is missing out big time. Please go to your local library or bookshop and read one of his books, I guarantee you that you'll be blown away or at least look at life differently. Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is a long titled book about a guy called Tsukuru Tazaki and how one day his four high school best friends cut him off completely without telling him a reason. He is unable to connect with anyone including his own life, and when he meets Sara, he sets out to find out truths about what happened all those years ago. It is not a love story. It is about life and the feeling of being 'colourless'. There's elements of mystery, friendship and that dream/reality/surreal like state that is frequent in Murakami books. I've only read two Murakami books, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle being the other, but Murakami has since proved to be one of my favourite authors. The way he describes everything is so simple and the themes he brings up are so mind-boggling.  Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is his latest book, published in Japan in 2013 and the English version (translated by Philip Gabriel) in 2014. I read a description of it saying that it was Murakami's most realistic book dealing with human experience. I'm paraphrasing of course, but it is true. What Tsukuru Tazaki experiences in the book, I have experienced to a certain degree. The subjects that the narrator brings up resonated something within me and made me think about all sorts of things like purpose, life, death, friendship and family. It is a fantastic book, I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to read something profound.

'I really should have died then, Tsukuru often told himself. Then this world, the one in the here and now, wouldn't exist. It was a captivating, bewitching thought. The present would wouldn't exist, and reality would no longer be real. As far as this world was concerned, he would simply no longer exist- just as this world would no longer exist for him.' 
(Murakami 2014, pp. 1)

The Murakami book represents my desire to read. I've bought twelve books on Booktopia that's due in a week or so, and I am so excited to read.

The iPad with the front page of my blog represents blogging. I really want to put more effort in to this blog. I want to broaden my writing and photography abilities and I want to stretch my current content to produce different posts!

The Le Tan sunscreen represent my longing for the beach. To me, the beach represents calmness, stillness and relaxation, which is what I want to start doing more of.

The Instax photograph is of me and my sister last week when we went to the Miley Cyrus concert, which was amazing by the way. This represents taking more photos with the Instax camera, and also a reminder to have a good time.

The Chloe perfume is a representation of my materialistic needs. I'm going to Japan in December and I'm hoping to buy some make-up and other potential things in duty free! It is also a reminder to stay classy, while smelling good.

The rings are a representation of having a good time. This is because I usually wear them when I'm going out or doing something with friends or family.

Finally, my glasses, which represent sight and vision. To seek wisdom and the truth.

*All of this is poetic truths.