Monday, 15 September 2014

Hill Tribe People of Chiang Mai, Thailand

I miss Thailand so much! Or rather, I miss being on holiday! Even though I went to Chiang Mai about a month ago, I want to travel again. I've still got a lot of posts lined up about Chiang Mai that I want to share on here. We went to visit the hill tribe people of Chiang Mai on the last full day I think. Our driver, Suwan drove us up the hills to this rather touristy location where different hill tribes live. It was really interesting to see how they live in handmade wooden houses with no running electricity, and the people there were so kind.

I have the biggest headache at the moment, so I can't think of interesting things to comment, so I'll just let the photos do the talking and I'll write a few captions.
















There are many stalls where you can buy traditional handmade hill tribe things. The precision and minute detailing on the bags, pouches and scarves are amazing!


Look at the detail!

There was this small school built that taught English, Thai, Myanmar and maths. The two little boys also gathered a lot of the tourists attention.


There was also a Christian church right at the top of the slope!

This man was hand carving statues, he was also selling obscene wood carvings, such as penises.

A lot of the village tribe people learn short phrases of other languages to communicate with the foreigners. This girl surprised us all when she called out 'You can take a picture if you like!' in Japanese.

There's a number of cats and dogs dozing about the area.
Ah, Pad Thai has to be one of my all time favourite noodle dishes! There's a restaurant on site which serves up delicious Thai food!