Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Sawadee Ka from Chiang Mai, Thailand!

It has been such a long time since my last post! I've been meaning to blog, but over the winter break I went to Chiang Mai and Kuala Lumpur and didn't have much internet connection and the remaining two weeks of the break I spent laying down and being piece of lump while recovering from getting four wisdom teeth taken out! I'm still recovering, I'm still sore and tired, especially with starting a new semester at uni. It's been so hectic! It feels like I went to Thailand months ago, but in actually fact it was only two weeks ago. I miss it so much and I can't wait to do more posts on my trip. We went to Chiang Mai, which is in the northern part of Thailand, it's very hilly, green and lush. July is the rainy season, but when we were there it only rained two days out of the five we were there. It wasn't  pouring or anything, just a slightly drizzle that still allows you to do whatever you want. The sky was usually cloudy, but it didn't make Chiang Mai dark whatsoever. 


I thought for the first post on Chiang Mai, I would write about this restaurant called Sila-Aat located on the busy Chang-Klan Road amongst the famous Chiang Mai Night Bazaar. The restaurant is slightly hidden inside and is surrounded by massage places and shops selling so many beautiful things. This is so great because as you're eating dinner you can browse the shops from a distance and make a plan of action of what shop you'll head to first after dinner. This place was recommend by our driver Suwan (more on him later), who dropped us off to wander along the streets of the night bazaar. We went there super early, around 5:00-ish because we were so hungry. I think the one hour difference in Thailand also made us more hungry, as it would have been 6:00 in Perth. This was a touristy sort of restaurant you would go to to eat typical Thai food. I couldn't have been more happier with what we got. To start us off, we ordered fresh coconuts and Chang beer. Both are so great to drink in hot humid climates. There was a wide variety of dishes to choose from the menu and everything came with a size, small, medium or large, which I thought was slightly strange but convenient at the same time.


Also, I wanted to mention my love for cheap silverware and plastic plates that are commonly found in outdoor hawker-style Asian restaurants. There's just something so comforting and simple about them, it reminds me of my childhood actually. A lot of the places I went to eat as a child had these plastic plates and weak silverware. They're just so great! It gave me a feeling of, yes, I'm finally eating authentic Asian food in Asia.

The dishes we ordered were, the usual Pad Thai, which is one of my favourite Thai foods, stir-fried broccoli with prawns, curry noodles, papaya salad, vegetarian spring rolls, Tom Yum soup and mango with sticky rice. And also some white rice to go with everything. Everything was so delicious! I think Thai food is one of my favourite cuisines! I just love all the sweet, sour and salty flavours that are so common in Thai food, it just goes so well together! The curry noodles were reminiscent of curry mee that you can get in Malaysia and it was nice and spicy. The papaya salad was fresh and light with the right amount of heat, the broccoli was homely and went superbly with the white rice, the spring rolls were crispy and crunchy and piping hot inside and the Pad Thai was amazing. 


The Tom Yum soup, which came in atypical Tom Yum serving pot was different from the Tom Yum I've had everywhere else, it wasn't as spicy as it looked, it was rather mild in heat and it was very tomatoey and sweet, this surprised me, in a good way. For dessert we had the Thai favourite of mango and sticky rice. What I love most of Thailand is the fruit! My God, nothing can compare to the freshness and sweetness of the fruit from Thailand! This restaurant is so convenient in its location, there are so many wonderful shops surrounding the place! And, the bill only totaled up to 1470 Baht, which is about fifty dollars, for four people! Writing all of this has made me long for some authentic Thai food from Thailand! It's also making me sad that the trip came to an end! I hope we can go again soon! Wow! That's a lot of exclamation marks!