Monday, 23 June 2014

Breakfast Before Shopping


Last Saturday we decided to go on a shopping trip to Garden City to celebrate the end of exams and to check out all the end of financial year sales. Whenever we go shopping, we try to get there early in the morning so that it's not that crowded, this usually means skipping out on breakfast at home and having it at a cafe, which is great. We went to Little Stove in Melville, which is about ten minutes from Garden City. It's a cute neighborhood cafe that isn't as commercialized as some cafes tend to be. It's the sort of cafe that has people living nearby come in every morning to grab a cup of coffee. The area is so nice, it's quiet and homely. There's also great parking out the front, although it does get filled up pretty quick, from cars attending the cooking school next door. It seemed however, that majority of all the people dining at Little Stove walked or biked to the cafe. I'm presuming they live nearby.

 





 

 At first, we wanted to sit outside but as we were deciding what to eat, it got too chilly for us as there was no sun shining on us. So we quickly grabbed a table inside the cafe. The inside of Little Stove is decorated with mix matched tables and chairs, vintage black and white photographs and random little bits of decor and furniture. It's the sort of interior that one might describe as 'indie' or 'hipster', due to having retro and vintage elements. It's very cute and wherever you look, your eyes land on something peculiar

Hash brown with poached eggs, relish, rocket and parmesan: $16.00










For breakfast I ordered the hash brown with poached eggs, relish, rocket and parmesan. The eggs were cooked perfectly and went super well with the crunchy hash brown. Surprisingly, I also enjoyed the rocket and parmesan, two things I usually don't eat. The reason why is that the flavour of the rocket and parmesan were mild and it compliment the rest of the dish. I absolutely love, love hash browns. They're great. Little Stove's hash browns were yummy, but slightly too oily for me. There were parts of the hash brown that were oily in taste making it a bit too much for breakfast. I also ordered a flat white, which was very strong. I was happy about this though, because a lot of cafes tend to make their coffee too milky for my liking. My flat white came with an awesome artwork of a lady made out of foam, check it out!!

Flat white: $4.00/4.70
Little Stove Crumpet with whipped ricotta and local honey: $10.00
The other dishes we ordered was the crumpet with whipped ricotta and local honey and the bircher muesli with pounded spices. I've never understood the concept of a crumpet. I find them so weird, but tasty. This crumpet dish was simply yummy in it's subtle sweetness. The crumpet on the plate however, looked slightly awkward and lonely. It only came with one crumpet which maybe not be satisfying enough for people who eat quite a bit in the morning. The portion for my sister was great though, because she doesn't have much for breakfast. The bircher muesli was thick, crunchy, creamy and had a crisp texture to it due to the Granny Smiths. One thing I noticed was that the plates and bowls used to serve the food, in contrast to their interior, lacked character. I don't know what it was about them but they look like the kind of plates used at a buffet. It didn't particularly suit the rest of the cafe or their food. Melville is quite far from where I live, but if I happen to be around that area I would definitely stop by again!














Little Stove on Urbanspoon