Monday, 24 March 2014

Best Value for Money Restaurant in Barcelona

Okay, so I'm going to tell you guys, whoever is reading this, if anyone, about this restaurant that we went to on our last night in Barcelona. It's called La Rita, and it is the best place in the world. It's delicious, value for money and just amazing. We found this restaurant in one of our guide books and I'm so glad that we ended up going there. It was about a ten minute walk from where we were staying, just off the road from Passeig de Garcia. It looks super fancy and expensive from the outside and we were a bit skeptical about going in because we were trying to save money on food, but it's not expensive. The prices are so reasonable, I've never seen anything like it.


I still can't believe it. We opted for the  three course meal, that was just twenty euros. TWENTY EUROS. That's roughly about thirty-five-ish Australian dollars, for a three course meal, that includes one drink and coffee or tea at the end! Can you believe it?! You don't have to take the three course meal set, you can order whatever you want and it'll still end up reasonably cheap. Coming from Perth, where everything single thing is expensive and rarely worth your money, I was skeptical about the actual food we were going to be served at La Rita. But the food was delicious. I doubt I can buy a main course for thirty-five dollars in Perth at the same quality and taste. Heck, I don't think I can buy anything in Perth for thirty-five dollars, I'm being sarcastic, but everything is just so expensive here. There are limitations though if you choose to take the three course meal set, you have a selection to pick from, but it's varied, numerous and they all sound so good.

The restaurant itself is so elegant and pretty. There's white linen, dimmed lighting and expensive looking cutlery and plates. It only opens at 8:00pm, because everyone in Barcelona eats dinner late. We got there at eight and it was quite quiet, the guide book said that on busy days, like Saturday or Friday there can be a queue. Spanish people eat dinner so late, there were people coming in around 9:30 and 10:00 even.





For my three course meal, I had pumpkin soup for entree, duck confit with mashed potato for main and chestnut ice cream with chocolate sauce and sweet potato chips for dessert. I also had a glass of sangria and a coffee after. I love vegetable soups, I just love them. We were also given a basket of crusty bread, which was great. The confit was delicious, it came with this  potato mash that wasn't overly potato-y, if that makes sense. I think there was semolina or some sort of grain mixed in it, it was so good. The dessert was nice and small, because I was so full after. One thing that I haven't seen here in Perth is chestnut ice cream, it's sweet, nutty and creamy. It's really popular in Europe. My sangria was great,  it had several sliced fruit and it went well with everything I had.



 







My mum also opted for the three course meal, she had a salad with prosciutto, fish with ratatouille and for dessert she had crema Catalana, which is a Spanish version of creme caramel. She also had wine and an espresso.


















 My sister didn't want a three course meal in case she would over eat, so she had fried eggplant for entree and grilled chicken for main. The prices, even if you don't opt for the three course set, is still so reasonable.

Overall we paid less than a hundred dollars for all three of us. I never seen that happen in Perth or anywhere else for what we received. The people working there were friendly and chatty and the food came out at really good intervals. We were so amazed and happy when we went to La Rita, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go somewhere special to eat but are on a budget. If I ever go back to Barcelona, hopefully I will someday, the first place I'm going to go is La Rita. I've heard that they also do a great lunch course for only ten Euros!