Tuesday, 4 February 2014

The French Paradox Could Be True

Cheese, bread, wine and meat is what defines the French food I had in Europe. Every meal we had at a cafe or restaurant came with a basket full of bread and a generous amount of creamy butter. I liked everything I had in Paris, there wasn't a meal where I couldn't eat the food. However, it is expensive. Although, the Euro is lower than the Pound, the portion and the quality of the food we got worked out to be more expensive than the food we ate in London. Before we left for Europe I read a little blurb about something called The French Paradox, which is a catchphrase that summarizes the observation of French people having a lower rate of getting a coronary heart disease albeit having a diet full of saturated fats. I know it's only an observation, but I think it's relatively true. There's so much cheese, foie gras, streaks of fat on meat and other fatty foods in France but not once did I see an overweight person. Which I find so, so weird. Nevertheless, I quite like French food, it's so distinctive and yummy.

The first night we arrived in Paris, we went to a cafe near our hotel called Cafe Renard. A lot of the eating places in Paris look like bars or pubs, and it is slightly true, because they do have a separate bar area. It's like a two in one sort of thing. Anyway, this cafe was one of my favourites in Paris. There was only one person working there, besides from the kitchen staff of course, but this guy, was taking orders, serving tables, cleaning, serving drinks at the bar and just everything. There aren't many staff people in local restaurants in Paris, about two or three maximum. 

Let's start with what we ate. My brother and I both had the risotto with king prawns and asparagus, it was small in portion, but it was delicious. I want to eat more! My sister had French onion soup, which is one of my favorite French dishes, I really love the cheesy toasted bread soaked in soup, my mum had kebab looking thing which she ordered from the specials menu and we shared a salad with all sorts of fattening French foods like foie gras and ham with lots of fat. For dessert I had to have a Nutella crepe.








































Here's another cafe we went to, near The Louvre museum. My brother had an omelet, although you can't really see it because of the mountain of French fries. Coffee is expensive, about five Euros for a small cup.





















If you're at Musee d'Orsay and you get hungry, don't go to The Cafe Campana unless you have money to throw away. It's super expensive and for what you get, it's totally not worth it. I had a carbonara pasta, that was really dry, (although I think that's the norm in Paris) and didn't particularly taste like anything. My sister had the fried noodles which according to her tasted like instant noodles. The grapefruit juice was delicious though, but again, it was expensive. The French word for grapefruit is extremely cute, pamplemousse.


This place was a nice change from all the heavy French food we were having, it's called Le Paradis du Fruit, and we came here for a light dinner, but mainly because my brother had to go pee really badly. As the name suggests, there's lots of foods with fruit and vegetables at this place. They do so many interesting drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, lots of smoothies, mixed juices and cocktails, I wanted to try all of them. I ended up getting the Josephine Baker which is a mix of coconut, passion fruit and mango. For our meals, we ordered the Trio of Soup, which came with pumpkin, mushroom and one soup we couldn't figure out and a Veggie Mama Coco, which was a Thai Green curry, with mixed rice and a Asian salad. All of it was so good and so different from what you'd normally get in Paris. They also had funky light decor, which made all the photos I took orange.