Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Let's Try This: Alternative Vegan Milk Chocolate

So I found some vegan milk chocolate during my drive around Perth city running some errands. Have you ever been to the food section in David Jones in the CBD? It's just past the homewares on the ground floor, and I swear it's my favorite place in Perth city. Not only does it stock delicious looking foods, packaged and fresh, this little section distinctly reminds me of the food basement in Japanese department stores. It's nothing like anything I've found in Perth, it's so, unlike Perth. If that makes any sense. It's like a food court, but much classier, there's counters for stir-fry noodles, fresh sushi, a juice bar, a cookie counter and a patisserie. There's all sorts of foods you can buy there, loads of imported goods from European countries and handmade, organic Australian products too. If you're ever in the CBD and looking for a a place to grab lunch, go to David Jones! May be a little pricey but everything is such good quality. 

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. So I found this vegan milk chocolate with crunchy banana pieces. The brand's moo free. I was completely intrigued by it and I wondered how it would taste, so naturally I bought a pack. I bought mine from a health food store near my house for $5.95, although the one in David Jones was $7.95.

Here are the details:
  • Vegetarian and vegan
  • Dairy, lactose, gluten, wheat, egg and casein free
  • Ingredients: sugar, cocoa butter, rice powder, cocoa mass, banana chips (banana, coconut oil), emulsifier (sunflower lecithin) and natural flavorings
  • Supports fair trade
  • "90% of the agricultural ingredients are produced in accordance with the rules of organic production"
  • "Made with fair trade sugar and cocoa"
  • Made in the UK
It tastes good! Like normal milk chocolate although, not as heavy or rich, it's more light. I don't particularly think it's healthy for you, but you know, everything in moderation.