Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Things to Do in Yokohama, Japan

A great and interesting place to go in Japan is The Cup Noodles Museum in Yokohama. In a weird and simple way the museum is really interesting. You get to see the the evolution of instant noodles in Japan, and you also get to make your own customized Cup Noodle! I thought the pricing was fairly cheap, 500 Yen to get in the museum and 300 Yen to make your own Cup Noodle. So I only spent about eight dollars. The museum somewhat resembles an art museum with pretty displays of different types of noodles. It also reminds me of Andy Warhol's pop art prints, I think it's the fact that the Cup Noodle is a consumers product, I think it would make a great Andy Warhol style print. 






















We got to decorate the cup and choose four freeze dried ingredients and soup stock powder for our very own customized Cup Noodle. I chose the original Cup Noodle soup stock, freeze dried corn, spring onion, beans and these fish cake things that had a picture of a chicken which is the company's mascot. My cousin chose the original soup stock, egg, cheddar cheese, pork things and the fish cakes. They also seal the cup, cover the cup with plastic and we got to take it home in this ridiculous plastic balloon. It was so funny.





















After that, we walked over to Yokohama World Porters which was basically down the road so that we could have lunch. World Porters is a big shopping center, with lots of restaurants, a movie theater, a game center and a lot of Hawaiian themed things, I'm not sure if it's there all the time or just temporarily. We decided to go to Yokohama Motomachi Doria, which is a doria restaurant. For those who don't know what doria is, it's a rice gratin with cheese and yummy things, go try it! I had a eggplant and ham, tomato cream base doria and my cousin had a carbonara rice doria. Both were amazingly hot and delicious!


In Yokohama, there's also the Yokohama Landmark Tower, we didn't actually go in to the tower but we went to the shopping center that's underneath it. It has lots of shops like Zara, H&M and other international and Japanese brands. If you go here, you have to try out the ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery, or anywhere else in Japan. It's an American based ice-cream parlor and has the best ice-cream ever. It's like Cold Rock in Perth, but better, because while they're mashing up your order they sing and make music by tapping they're metal spoons against the cold stone. I don't know whether it's just Japan that sings for customers, but it sure was great. I had a White Mud Pie Mojo which was a mix of French vanilla ice-cream, Oreo cookies, crushed almonds, peanut butter, whipped cream and chocolate fudge. It was amazing. Sorry I didn't take any photos, I forgot because I was eating. I actually can't find any photos of the Yokohama Landmark Tower, which is a shame, but here are some photos of Yokohama.