Wednesday, 12 June 2013

The Great Gatsby | Book and Movie



“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 
- F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I watched The Great Gatsby yesterday morning with my mum at the cinema and I just have to say how entertaining it was. Ever since I watched The Titanic, I've been a huge fan of Leonardo DiCaprio and I think he is an amazing actor. I've read the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald beforehand and my expectation of the movie was very high. The book is beautifully written, with it's imagery, figurative language, metaphors which shows how brilliant F. Scott Fitzgerald is. The movie however is different from the book, but what movie based on a book isn't? I wasn't a big fan of the fading in and fading out of quotes from the book on the screen, and there were some bits of the movie where there were too many effects, it reminded me of a power point presentation. I loved the description of Gatsby's parties in the book which was great to see it come alive in front of my eyes.

The clothes and jewellery was beyond amazing, every dress and head pieces worn, I loved. There were flapper dresses, long and layered pearls, shining diamonds, it was just amazing to watch what they wore. I'd love to travel back in time and visit the 20's! The Great Gatsby soundtrack is also great, there's lots of rap in it, which is surprising but great. I especially like Lana Del Rey's Young and Beautiful, Jack White's Love Is Blindness and the Kid Koala version of Crazy In Love by Emeli Sande and The Bryan Ferry Orchestra. You have read the book, listen to this album and watch the movie (not necessarily in that order)!